February 22, 2015

It's "Freezepocalypse" on the Hudson!

I don't think I can be accused of whining when I say that the February of 2015 has been brutal weather-wise.  While New York has been spared the record snowfall that buried Boston, we have been on the receiving end of the Siberian Express for weeks and weather forecasters are running out of terms to describe just how cold the air and wind chill temperatures will be.

So it was a very pleasant surprise this morning when the day started off with sunshine and relatively mild temperatures.  Determined to take advantage of this temporary relief from the bitter cold and wind, I bundled up and walked over to Riverside Park South to see for myself what people were referring to as "Freezepocalypse"!

It was an amazing sight!  Looking south with Manhattan on the left and New Jersey on the right...

And north with New Jersey on the left...

The mighty Hudson River was filled with snow covered ice flows that were drifting steadily up-river with the current.   The pier, usually alive with children playing, fishermen and roller bladers, was deserted.  A few hardy Canadian Geese hopped a ride on an ice berg...


In the distance I could see some ferries and a cruise ship was in port - hopefully getting ready to depart for warmer climes!  With a calm wind and a brilliant winter sun I was actually quite comfortable but it was still rather laughable to read the notices advertising "Summer on the Hudson".  Maybe I should take a cue from these kids who were having a heck of a good time with their sleds on this beautiful winter day...

Or maybe I should console myself with the calendar that proclaims only 26 more days until Spring!

No comments: